Professor John Evans Atta Mills, the presidential candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) was born on July 21st, 1944 and hails from Cape Coast in the Central region.
Prof. Mills launched a lifelong of learning at Achimota Secondary School, where he completed the Advanced Level Certificate in 1963.
To further his education, he attended the University of Ghana, Legon where he received a bachelor's degree and professional certificate in Law (1967).
While earning the Ph.D. in Oriental and African Studies from the University of London, Dr. Mills was selected as a Fulbright scholar at Stanford Law School (USA).
Prof. Mills' first formal teaching assignment was as a lecturer on the faculty of law at the University of Ghana, Legon. He spent more than twenty years imparting acquired knowledge to students, and rose in position from lecturer to senior lecturer to associate professor. His contribution to the University was remarkable having served on numerous boards, committees, and schemes. Also during those twenty years, Prof. Mills traveled as a visiting lecturer and professor at Temple University (USA) and Leiden University (Holland), and presented research papers at symposiums and conferences throughout the world.
Prof. Mills has more than one dozen publications to his credit. These include:
- Taxation of Periodical or Deferred Payments arising from the Sale of Fixed Capital (1974),
- Exemption of Dividends from Income taxation: A critical Appraisal (1977),
- Report of the Tax Review Commission, Ghana, parts 1,2&3, (1977) and
- Ghana's Income Tax laws and the Investor. An inter-faculty lecture published by the University of Ghana.
His expertise goes well beyond the classroom, and is evidenced by the various examiner positions he held with finance related institutions throughout Ghana (i.e. Institute of Chartered Accountants, Institute of Bankers, Ghana Tax Review Commission). As an advocate for recreation, Prof. Mills has supported the community through groups such as the Ghana Hockey Association, National Sports Council of Ghana, Accra Hearts of Oak Sporting Club. The following are a few of his activities and projects:
- Member of the Ghana Stock Exchange Council
- Board of Trustees, Mines Trust
- Management Committee of Commonwealth Administration of Tax Experts
- United Nations Ad Hoc Group of Experts in International Cooperation in Tax Matters 7 United Nations Law and Population Project
- Study on Equipment Leasing in Ghana
- Casebook preparation on Ghana's Income Tax
- Review of Ghana's Double Tax Agreement with the U.K
A track record of financial knowledge and strong professional credentials led to several important appointments. In 1988, Prof. J.E Atta Mills became the acting Commissioner of the Internal Revenue Service of Ghana and named Commissioner in September 1996. In 1997, Prof. Mills received another important appointment. On January 7, 1997, he was named the Vice President of the Republic of Ghana.
In the nutshell, Dr. John Evans Atta Mills, Professor Atta Mills as popularly called, continues to contribute to the Republic of Ghana.
He is married to Ernestina Naadu, an educationist.